Setting AIS Plan Priorities 2017
#1. Prevent new AIS infestations, especially zebra mussels, starry stonewort, and hybrid watermilfoil.
- Public Access, Resort, Marina & Campground Inspection and Education. Expand significantly our inspection and education activities at all launch sites, both public and private.
- Boat Cleaning Capability. Partner with private businesses to offer boat cleaning at centralized locations. Develop the communications and publicity support to bring boaters to these centralized cleaning stations on their way to and from Lake Vermilion. In future years, develop low-cost solutions for cleaning and draining boats and equipment at remote resorts, marinas and campgrounds.
- Habitat Evaluation and Risk Assessment. To prioritize and focus resources, continue to refine our understanding of Lake Vermilion’s risk level for all new and existing threats.
- Public Awareness and Education. Expand significantly our public awareness and education activities, especially among boaters intending to launch watercraft at Lake Vermilion.
- Regional and Statewide Partnership Development and Sharing. Expand significantly our partner recruitment, education and sharing among counties, lake associations and local Lake Vermilion stakeholders, including local government units, tribal governments, businesses and civic organizations.
#2. Detect any new infestations early, when AIS control options are most effective.
- Invasive Vegetation Early Detection. Accelerate the multi-year “early-detection” survey of all littoral waters at Lake Vermilion, looking primarily for curly-leaf pondweed “escapes” and for undetected Eurasian watermilfoil, watermilfoil hybrids, starry stonewort, and curly-leaf infestations. Train volunteers to monitor highest risk launch sites frequently for new invasive vegetation.
- Zebra Mussel Early Detection. Continue to deploy adult zebra mussel samplers at high-calcium, high-traffic dock sites in the east basin. Continue periodic water sample collection and analysis to detect zebra mussel veligers.